Saturday, August 13, 2016

One Great Dad


Happy 70th birthday to the greatest Dad in the world!

My dad is Honorio Carreon David, born August 12, 1946 from San Fernando, Pampanga. 
The best father, friend, teacher, coach, mentor, adviser and leader all rolled into one.

*****
During my early school days, I had the opportunity to be trained well by this great man.
 
He will make sure that when he gets home after dinner, he will sit down with me in the living room and check on my lessons and homework. He is a listener, he will ask me to share what I have learned. He requires that I share with him my own experience in learning it... that includes area where I need clarification, any confusion and questions about it. When it comes to Mathematics subject, he said I have to know the principles.. the why.  And not just the how. He will explain to me the value of our lesson in our everyday life. He creates a different set of exercise for us to work on together and then allow me to do my homework on my own. He then checks it and explain again for those I made mistakes. He keep reminding me that its okey to commit mistakes, it is part of the learning process and what's important is I learn from it and do it right the next time.  He create other sets of exercises on his own to help me fully capture the essence of how to apply the principles. 

My Dad knows me very well and provides me the balance of self learning and support I need for guidance. He gives me every perspective of how things are and he challenges what I know.  He always remind me that there is no short cut to success. You will go through the hardship before you can enjoy the fulfilment of knowing things deeply. He was direct whenever I insist on something and tell me straight if I am not listening. He reminds me the importance of listening and not just hearing, in doing and not just helping. Attention to detail is key to knowing all aspects of a new learning. He showed me the value of hard work to obtain knowledge and skills necessary for me to become successful. 

He gave me these solid foundations about life.  He left to be an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) when I was very young at the age of 9. But the basic foundation he has taught me was indeed a legacy.  I was able to go through my life since with minimal guidance which he continue to do even if he is so far away.  The only means of communication back then are the snail mails and voice recording. No amount of time and distance made me stumble or fall knowing all his teaching that I keep reminding myself by playing them over and over in my head as I do things on my own. Back then, I have to wait long before I can get his perspective of how things are but since he has trained me so well, I was able to manage the 20 years that he has been away from us. We get to see each other 3 weeks of every year to catch up.  

Leaders today have learned things the hard way alone or through various forms - books, education, seminars, trainings and personal experience.  My Dad believed in me so much and that gave me the inspiration kept deep in my heart to have the confidence, the patience and drive to be who and where I am today. And sharing my story, I realize how he had greatly influenced every stage of my life.  I can not but be grateful for such a great man. He has developed the basic and solid foundation for my life, I was very fortunate to pay it forward by sharing his legacy with the people I work with everyday.

How about you? Who is your coach and/or mentor? 
Take time to let them know how much you are grateful to them.  
Act now it is never too late to say "Thank you".

No comments:

Post a Comment